Recent

6/recent/ticker-posts

Wh-questions | English Grammar

In this article, we will learn about how to make Wh-questions and give its answer.


Wh-questions are used to ask any question.

 
Sentence structure: 

 
Wh+H.V.+S+V+O+O.W+?
 

S = Subject - કર્તા(જે કોઈ પણ કાર્ય કરે તે )

V= Verb - ક્રિયાપદ (જે ક્રિયા થાય છે તે)

O = Object - કર્મ (જેના પર ક્રિયા થાય છે તે)


According to tense H.V and V changes..
please refer tense first..

  Download File


 
What :- શું 


To know object (to know about any thing) the question is asked by what, so the answer will be about that thing. 


object (किसी वस्तु के बारे में) के बारे में जानने के लिए What से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर उस वस्तु के बारे में ही होगा। 


કર્મ જાણવા માટે (કોઈ પણ વસ્તુ વિશે જાણવા માટે) what થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે વસ્તુ વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.

 
Structure

Q - What +H.V+ S + V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે શું ખાવ છો ?

- What do you eat?

- I eat an apple.(obj=apple)
 

According to tense H.V and V changes..
please refer tense first..

 
1. What do you play?

- I play cricket. (simple present)

 
2. What did you play?

- I played cricket. (simple past)

 
3. What will you play?

- I will play cricket. (simple future)

 
4. What are you playing? (continue present)

- I am playing cricket. 

 
5. What were you playing? (continue past)

- I was playing cricket. 

 
6. What will you be playing? (continue future)

- I will be playing cricket.

 
7. What have you played? (perfect present)

- I have played cricket.

 
8. What had you played? (perfect past)

- I had played cricket. 

 
9. What will you have played?  

(perfect future)

- I will have played cricket.
 

Where: कहा पे - ક્યાં


To know about place, the question is asked by where, so the answer will be about that place.  


स्थान के बारे में जानने के लिए where से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर उस स्थान के बारे में ही होगा।


સ્થળ જાણવા માટે where થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ સ્થળ વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q -Where +H.V+ S + V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1.તમે ક્યાં રમો છો?

--Where do you play?

-- I play in the Garden.(place=garden)

-- I play on terrace.(place=terrace)

 
In - સ્થળની અંદર

At - સ્થળ પર (location પર)

On - અડીને ઉપર (on table)

Above - અડક્યાં વગર ઉપર(લટકતું)
 

When: कब - ક્યારે


To know about time, the question is asked by when, so the answer will be about time.  


समय के बारे में जानने के लिए when से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर समय के बारे में होगा।


સમય જાણવા માટે when થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ સમય વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q - When +H.V+ S + V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1.તમે ક્યારે ચાલો છો?

- When do you walk?

- I walk at 10 o’clock.(exact time)

- I walk on Sunday.(Day)

- I walk in the evening.(time duration)

- I walk around 10p.m(not exact time)

 
In – સમયગાળો(in week,month,year,in the morning, in the evening)

At - ચોક્કસ સમય (at 7 a.m.,8 o’clock)

On – દિવસ સાથે(on Diwali, on Sunday)

Around - સમય નજીક(around 4 a.m)


Whom: किसको - કોને


To know about any person, the question is asked by whom, so the answer will be about that person. 


किसी भी व्यक्ति के बारे में जानने के लिए whom द्वारा प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर उस व्यक्ति के बारे में ही होगा।


વ્યક્તિ વિશે જાણવા માટે whom થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ વ્યક્તિ વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q –Whom +H.V+ S + V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1.તમે કોને અનુસરો છો?

- Whom do you follow?

- I follow Sachin.(person=Sachin)

 

With whom:  

किस व्यक्ति के साथ - કોની સાથે


In order to know about with which person the question is asked by With whom, the answer will be about that person. 


किस व्यक्ति के साथ यह जानने के लिए से With whom से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, उत्तर उस व्यक्ति के बारे में भी बताना होता है। 


કઈ વ્યક્તિ સાથે તે વિશે જાણવા માટે with whom થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે વ્યક્તિ વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q

With whom+H.V+S + V+ O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x:-

1.તમે કોની સાથે જમો છો?

- With whom do you eat?

- I eat with Family.
 

For whom: 

किस व्यक्ति के लिए - કોના માટે


In order to know about, for which person the question is asked by For whom, the answer will be about that person. 


किस व्यक्ति के लिए यह जानने के लिए से For whom से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, उत्तर उस व्यक्ति के बारे में भी बताना होता है। 


કઈ વ્યક્તિ  માટે તે વિશે જાણવા માટે for whom થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે વ્યક્તિ વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q –For whom+H.V+S+V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x:-

1.તમે કોના માટે ભણો છો?

- For whom do you study?

- I study for myself.

How:  

किस प्रकार से - કેવી રીતે


To know about the way/method, the question is asked by How. so the answer will be about that way/method. 


तरीका/विधि के बारे में जानने के लिए How से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है। तो उत्तर उस तरीके/विधि के बारे में होगा।


રીત જાણવા માટે How થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ રીત વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q –How +H.V+ S + V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1.તમે કેવી રીતે જમો છે?

- How do you eat?

- I eat by my hand.- method

- I eat by chewing. - by + V4

- I eat slowly. - adjective

- I eat with family. - with + person

 
By – સાધન (by bicycle, by legs)

By+V4 – by chewing - ચાવીને

Adjective – slowly, hurriedly

With – સાથે (with father, with him)


Why: क्यों - શા માટે


To know about reason, the question is asked by why. so the answer will be any reason.  


कारण जानने के लिए why द्वारा प्रश्न पूछा जाता है। तो उत्तर कोई कारण होगा। 


કારણ જાણવા માટે why થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ કારણ જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q - Why +H.V+ S + V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O+because+S+H.V+V+O

A - S+H.V+V+O+ to + V1

A - S+H.V+V+O+ for + V4(V1+ing)
 

 E.x. :-

1.તમે શા માટે ભણો છો?

- Why do you study?

- I study because I am clever.

- I study because I want to be an Engineer.

- I study because I have to study.

- I study because I like to study.

- I study because I need to study.

- I study because I should study.

- I study because I want knowledge.

- I study because I need knowledge.

- I study because I have money.

- I study to be an Engineer. (to+V1)

- I study for being an Engineer. (for+V4)

 

Because – क्योंकि - કારણ કે

To – के लिये - માટે (to+V1)

For – के लिये - માટે (for+V4 (V1+ing))

 

Learn Use of For in detail

How far:

कितनी दूर - કેટલું દૂર


To know about distance, the question is asked by How far. so the answer will be about distance.  


दूरी के बारे में जानने के लिए How far से सवाल पूछा जाता है। तो उत्तर दूरी के बारे में होगा।


અંતર જાણવા How far થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ અંતર વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q – 

How far+H.V+S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે કેટલું દૂર રહો છો?

- How far do you live?

- I live 1km far.
 


How long:

कितना समय - કેટલો સમય


To know about time duration, the question is asked by How long. so the answer will be in time duration.  


समय अवधि के बारे में जानने के लिए How long से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है। तो उत्तर समय अवधि में होगा।


સમયગાળો જાણવા માટે how long થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે સમય ગાળા વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q

How long+H.V+S+V + O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1.તમે કેટલો સમય ભણો છો?

- How long do you study?

- I study for 2 hours.


Which: 

कौन सा - કઈ,કયું,કયાં,કયો


To know the choice, question is asked by which. So the answer also will be about that choice. 


पसंद जानने के लिए which द्वारा प्रश्न पूछा जाता है। तो जवाब भी उस चुनाव के बारे में ही होगा।


પસંદગી જાણવા માટે which થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે પસંદગી વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q - Which+Object+H.V+S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમને કયો phone ગમે છે?

- Which phone do you like?

- I like I-phone.

Which pen:

कौन सा पेन - કઈ પેન  


Which shoes:

कौन से जूते - કયા બૂટ


Which bird:

कौन सा पक्षी - કયું પક્ષી 


On which:- કઈ, કયાં, .... પર


In order to know the choice on which item, the question is asked by on which, so the answer will be about that choice. 


किस वस्तु पर, विकल्प जानने के लिए On which से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर को उस विकल्प के बारे में बताना होगा।


કઈ, કયાં, વસ્તુ પર પસંદગી જાણવા માટે on which થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે પસંદગી વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q

On which+Object+ H.V + S + V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે કઈ બેન્ચ પર બેસો છો?

- On which bench do you sit?

- I sit on first bench.


On which table

किस टेबल पर - કયા ટેબલ પર


On which book

किस किताब पर - કઈ બુક પર



In which:

किस वस्तु में - કઈ, કયાં,....માં

 

In order to know the choice about In which item, the question is asked by In which, so the answer will be about that choice. 


किस वस्तु में, विकल्प जानने के लिए In which से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर को उस विकल्प के बारे में बताना होगा। 


કઈ, કયાં, વસ્તુ માં પસંદગી જાણવા માટે In which થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે પસંદગી વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q

In which+Object+H.V +S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે કયા ઘરમાં રહો છો ?

- In which house do you live?

- I live in new house.

 
In which school

किस स्कूल में - કઈ સ્કૂલમાં


In which village

किस गांव में - કયા ગામમાં 



Whose:

किसका है - કોના, કોની, કોનું, કોનો


In order to know about the owner, the question is asked by whose, the answer will be about owner.


मालिक के बारे में जानने के लिए whose से सवाल पूछा जाता है तो उत्तर मालिक के बारे में बताना होगा। 


માલિક જાણવા માટે whose થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે માલિક વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે. 


Structure 

Q –Whose+Object+H.V+S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમને કોનું ભાષણ સાંભળવું ગમે છે?

- Whose speech do you like to listen?

- I like to listen speech of gopal das.

- I like to listen modi’s speech.

 
Whose pen
:

किसकी कलम - કોની પેન


Whose shoes:

किसके जूते - કોના બૂટ 


Whose bird

किसका पक्षी - કોનું પક્ષી  

 

How many:

कितने - કેટલા,કેટલી,કેટલું,કેટલો 


The question of how many is asked for something countable, then the number of the item has to be mentioned in the answer. 


गिनने योग्य किसी चीज के लिए How many से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर में वस्तु की संख्या बतानी होगी।


ગણી શકાય તેવી વસ્તુ માટે how many થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે વસ્તુની સંખ્યા  વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q – 

How many+Object+ H.V +S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે કેટલી બુક વાંચો છો?

- How many books do you read?

- I read 2 books.

- I read many books.


How many laptop:

कितने लैपटॉप - કેટલા લેપટોપ


How many book:

कितनी किताब - કેટલી બુક



How much:- કેટલા,કેટલી,કેટલું,કેટલો


The question of how much is asked for something uncountable, then the quantity of the item has to be mentioned in the answer. 


अगणनीय किसी चीज के लिए How much से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर में वस्तु की मात्रा बतानी होगी।


ગણી ન શકાય તેવી વસ્તુ માટે (જથ્થો જાણવા) how much થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ તે વસ્તુના જથ્થા  વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.

 

Structure

Q – 

How much+Object+ H.V+S+V?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. તમે કેટલું દૂધ પીવો છો?

- How much milk do you drink?

- I drink 1 bottle of milk.

- I drink so much milk.

- I drink plenty of milk.

 
How much stars

कितने सितारे - કેટલા તારા


How much ghee

कितना घी - કેટલું ઘી

 


Who: कौन - કોણ


In order to know about the doer of action or subject, the question is asked by who, so the answer will be about the doer. 


कर्ता के बारे में जानने के लिए who से प्रश्न पूछा जाता है, तो उत्तर कर्ता के बारे में बताना होगा। 


કર્તા(ક્રિયા કરનાર) વિશે જાણવા માટે who થી પ્રશ્ન પુછાય છે એટલે જવાબમાં પણ કર્તા વિશે જણાવવાનું રહેશે.
 

Structure

Q - Who +H.V + V+O?

A - S+H.V+V+O
 

E.x. :-

1. કોણ English શીખે છે.?

- Who learns English?

- I learn English.

- He learns English.

 

Wh - Question in all Tense.

 

What:-

What do you play? 

I play cricket.


What did you play? 

I played cricket.


What will you play? 

I will play cricket.


What are you playing? 

I am playing cricket.


What were you playing? 

I was playing cricket.


What will you be playing? 

I will be playing cricket.


What have you played? 

I have played cricket.


What had you played? 

I had played cricket.


What will you have played? 

I will have played cricket.

Where:-

Where does he eat? 

He eats in garden.


Where did he eat? 

He ate in garden.


Where will he eat? 

He will eat in garden.


Where is he eat? 

He is eating in garden.


Where was he eat? 

He was eating in garden.


Where will be he eat? 

He will be eating in garden.


Where has he eat? 

He has eaten in garden.


Where had he eat? 

He had eaten in garden.


Where will have he eat? 

He will have eaten in garden.

Why:-

Why does she drive? 

She drives for traveling.


Why did she drive?

She drove for traveling.


Why will she drive? 

She will drive for traveling.


Why is she drive? 

She is driving for traveling.


Why was she drive? 

She was driving for traveling.


Why will be she drive? 

She will be driving for traveling.


Why has she drive? 

She has driven for traveling.


Why had she drive? 

She had driven for traveling.


Why will have she drive? 

She will have driven for traveling.


By Whom:-

By Whom do they drink? 

They drink by glass.


By Whom did they drink? 

They drank by glass.


By Whom will they drink? 

They will drink by glass.


By Whom are they drink? 

They are drinking by glass.


By Whom were they drink? 

They were drinking by glass.


By Whom will be they drink? 

They will be drinking by glass.


By Whom have they drink? 

They have drunk by glass.


By Whom had they drink? 

They had drunk by glass.


By Whom will have they drink? 

They will have drunk by glass.

With Whom:-

With Whom do I walk? 

I walk with dog.


With Whom did they drink? 

I walked with dog.


With Whom shall I walk? 

I will walk with dog.


With Whom am I walk? 

I am walking with dog.


With Whom was I walk? 

I was walking with dog.


With Whom will be I walk? 

I will be walking with dog.


With Whom have I walk? 

I have walked with dog.


With Whom had I walk? 

I had walked with dog.


With Whom will have I walk? 

I will have walked with dog.

For Whom:-

For Whom does he read? 

He reads for exam.


For Whom did he read? 

He read for exam.
 

For Whom will he read? 

He will read for exam.


For Whom is he read? 

He is reading for exam.


For Whom was he read? 

He was reading for exam.


For Whom will be he read? 

He will be reading for exam.


For Whom has he read? 

He has read for exam.


For Whom had he read? 

He had read for exam.


For Whom will have he read? 

He will have read for exam.

When:-

When does she sleep? 

She sleeps at night.


When did she sleep? 

She slept at night.


When will she sleep? 

She will sleep at night.


When is she sleep? 

She is sleeping at night.


When was she sleep? 

She was sleeping at night.


When will be she sleep? 

She will be sleeping at night.


When has she sleep? 

She has slept at night.


When had she sleep? 

She had slept at night.


When will have she sleep? 

She will have slept at night.

How:-

How do it fly? 

It flies with its wings.


How did it fly? 

It flew with its wings.


How will it fly? 

It will fly with its wings.


How is it fly? 

It is flying with its wings.


How was it fly? 

It was flying with its wings.


How will be it fly? 

It will be flying with its wings.


How has it fly? 

It has flown with its wings.


How had it fly? 

It had flown with its wings.


how will have it fly? 

It will have flown with its wings.

How Long:-

How long do you run? 

I run for 2 hour.


How long did you run? 

I run for 2 hour.


How long will you run? 

I will run for 2 hour.


How long are you run? 

I am running for 2 hour.


How long were you run? 

I was running for 2 hour.


How long will be you run? 

I will be running for 2 hour.


How long have you run? 

I have run for 2 hour.


How long had you run? 

I had run for 2 hour.


How long will have you run? 

I will have run for 2 hour.

Whose:-

Whose book does she take? 

She takes book from me.


Whose book did she take? 

She took book from me.


Whose book will she take? 

She will take book from me.

 

Whose book is she take? 

She is taking book from me.


Whose book was she take? 

She was taking book from me.


Whose book will be she take? 

She will be taking book from me.


Whose book has she take? 

She has taken book from me.


Whose book had she take? 

She had taken book from me.

 

Whose book will have she take? 

She will have taken book from me.

Which:-

Which phone do you like to buy ? 

I like to buy I-phone X.


Which phone did you like to buy? 

I like to bought I-phone X.


Which phone will you like to buy? 

I will like to bought I-phone X.


Which phone are you like to buy? 

I am like to buying I-phone X.


Which phone were you like to buy ? 

I was like to buying I-phone X.


Which phone will be you like to buy ?

I will be like to buying I-phone X.


Which phone have you like to buy? 

I have like to bought I-phone X.


Which phone had you like to buy? 

I had like to bought I-phone X.


Which phone will have you like to buy? 

I will have like to bought I-phone X .


How Many:-

How many pens does he purchase? 

He purchases ten pens.


How many pens did he purchase? 

He purchased ten pens.


How many pens will he purchase? 

He will purchase ten pens.


How many pens is he purchase? 

He is purchasing ten pens.


How many pens was he purchase? 

He was purchasing ten pens.


How many pens will be he purchase? 

He will be purchasing ten pens.


How many pens has he purchase? 

He has purchased ten pens.


How many pens had he purchase? 

He had purchased ten pens.


How many pens will have he purchase?

 He will have purchased ten pens.

How Much:-

How much rice does she cook? 

She cooks one bowl of rice.


How much rice did she cook? 

She cooked one bowl of rice.


How much rice will she cook? 

She will cook one bowl of rice.


How much rice is she cook? 

She is cooking one bowl of rice.


How much rice was she cook? 

She was cooking one bowl of rice.


How much rice will be she cook? 

She will be cooking one bowl of rice.


How much rice has be she cook? 

She has cooked one bowl of rice.


How much rice had be she cook? 

She had cooked one bowl of rice.


How much rice will have be she cook? 

She will have cooked one bowl of rice.


Also Read: 

Wh-question Practice

Learn Tense

Learn Modal Auxiliary